Graduate & Postdoctoral Professional Development at Stony Brook
Build Your Path to a Satisfying Career.
Stony Brook University has a long tradition of integrating its research and educational missions. Graduate and Postdoctoral Professional Development strengthens and expands this tradition by working with academic departments, programs and other units across campus to ensure that undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral scholars receive a well-rounded and multi-dimensional education. With this integrated approach, Stony Brook prepares our vibrant and diverse community of scholars to become the explorers, the leaders, and the innovators of tomorrow.
To accomplish this, Graduate and Postdoctoral Professional Development seeks to:
- Foster existing and new professional skills development opportunities for graduate students and postdocs;
- Support the useful completion of Individual Development Plans (IDPs) for graduate students and postdocs;
- In partnership with graduate programs, the Career Center and other campus partners, enhance resources and opportunities for exploration of a broad range of careers for our students and postdocs;
- Provide support, advising, and institutional nomination for the development of external fellowships by graduate students and postdocs; and
- Maintain the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, which supports and advises Stony Brook's postdoctoral scholars.
The Graduate School works to ensure grad students and postdocs are aware of the array of workshops, courses and programs available at Stony Brook to support their professional and career development. Among the offerings from the Grad School are: PhD Career Ladder Program offered every semester as GRD 510, Planning Your Path to a Satisfying Career workshop for IDP development, the Practical Professional Skills workshop series, and grant and proposal writing workshops, including intensive bootcamps for applicants to the Fulbright U.S. Student Program and the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program.
CAMPUS RESOURCES FOR PROFESSIONAL & CAREER DEVELOPMENT
Looking for continuing education opportunities and how to enroll as a non-matriculated
Visit Stony Brook's School of Professional Development .