GSEU Professional Development Awards Program
Stony Brook University is pleased to announce the availability of funds for the Professional Development Awards Program provided for and funded Agreement between the State of New York and CWA1104/GSEU. This program provides funding for professional development activities that help eligible teaching and graduate assistants develop their full professional potential or prepare them for advancement. If you are a member of the Graduate Student Employees Union (GSEU) and have participated in a professional development activity and would like to learn more, please refer to the complete program description below, including information on eligibility and application procedures.
Please direct all questions to GSEU representative Andrew Dobbyn at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Karen Wishnia at email@example.com as the Graduate School staff is unable to field procedural questions. Applications must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Graduate Students on the Research Foundation payroll are ineligible for this Program, but can explore the RF Professional Development Fund. Regardless of employment status, graduate students might also consider some of the funding opportunities available through the Graduate Student Organization (GSO). The Resource Access Project (RAP) provides travel grants (up to $500/fiscal year) and the Distinguished Travel Award is another funding possibility. More information can be found here.
The Professional Development Program funds:
- Cover one project or activity for the period July 2, 2016 to July 1, 2017 and one project or activity for the period July 2, 2017 to July 1, 2018.
- Provide an individual award of up to $1,000 for each period, subject to the Professional Development Program Guidelines and the New York State Comptroller's Rules and Regulations and limitations contained therein.
- May be used to support job related projects or activities such as:
- research (basic, applied, or historical)
- curriculum or instructional material development
- conference, workshop, or seminar attendance
- conference participation (e.g. presiding, presenting)
- course work or internship not part of earning a degree
- grant proposal development
- preparation of material for publication
- artistic or creative endeavor
- other job related professional development projects or activities
Within these general categories of support, allowable expenses include:
- Tuition for course work at the SUNY rate for the course level, provided the course work is not part of the applicant's degree program.
- Registration fees for conference, workshop, or seminar attendance.
- Travel and related expenses (transportation, lodging, meals, etc., subject to New York State Comptroller's Rules and Regulations regarding travel).
Funds may not be used for:
- Salaries, stipends, or income to compensate the applicant or any other person.
- Expenses related to a course, internship or a project or activity that are part of an applicant's degree program.
- Purchasing equipment, software, consumable, or non-consumable supplies.
Employees are eligible for Professional Development Program funds for the period July 2, 2016 to July 1, 2017 and for July 2, 2017 to July 1, 2018. To be considered for funds, teaching assistants and graduate assistants must:
- Be employed full-time or part-time.
- Be employed for the duration of the project or activity.
- Have completed a project or activity for the period July 2, 2016 to July 1, 2017 on or before July 1, 2017, or for the period July 2, 2017 to July 1, 2018, complete a project or activity on or before July 1, 2018.
- Submit a completed Application by the designated deadline.
The Application must include the following:
- The type of event, event site and sponsor.
- A description of the project or activity.
- How the project or activity will enhance the applicant's professional development.
- Itemized expenditures related to the project or activity that conform to the New York State Comptroller's Rules and Regulations and limitations.
- Applicant's role, such as presenting a paper, proposal or formally participating. If presenting a paper or proposal, the title of the paper or proposal and nature of the presentation must be provided.
- A letter of acceptance of the paper or proposal. If acceptance is pending, notification of acceptance must be provided no later than 14 days prior to the proposed starting date of the project or activity.
- A brochure, announcement or other relevant documentation describing the project or activity and related costs. If documentation is not yet available, it must be provided no later than 14 days prior to the proposed starting date of the project or activity.
- A current curriculum vitae (resume).
- Additional supporting documentation or information as requested by the campus committee.
A completed Application and all required documentation must be submitted to email@example.com
A copy of the Application may be accessed at: https://www.goer.ny.gov/Training_Development/gseu/GSEU_Prof_Dev_Award_Application.pdf
Review of applications will take into consideration the nature of the professional development project or activity and how the project or activity will assist applicants in developing their full professional potential or preparing for advancement.
A completed application and all required documentation must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Hard copies will not be accepted. Application deadlines are noted below:
For the Period July 2, 2016 to July 1, 2017:
Applications must be submitted on or before December 13, 2017
For the Period July 2, 2017 to July 1, 2018:
Applications must be submitted on or before April 13, 2018
All expenditures related to projects or activities funded by the Professional Development Program must be in accordance with the Professional Development Program Guidelines and the New York State Comptroller's Rules and Regulations and limitations contained therein.
For reimbursement, employees must:
- Be employed at the time of payment or have an open student account at the same campus that awarded the funds.
- Submit a voucher with original receipts for expenses that were approved and incurred
for a project or activity, to the campus fiscal office as follows:
- within 30 days after completing the project or activity, or
- if funding was awarded for a project or activity that was completed at an earlier date, no later than 30 days after the date of the award.
Employees who do not submit a voucher with original receipts in a timely manner may forfeit entitlement to reimbursement.
Questions regarding reimbursement should be directed to the campus fiscal office.
The Evaluation must be submitted within 30 days after completing the project or activity. It may be submitted by mail, fax or email as indicated on the form.
If a project or activity was completed prior to receiving an award, the Evaluation must be submitted within 30 days of receiving it. Failure to submit the Evaluation may result in postponement of action on an applicant's subsequent application for funding until the Evaluation is received. A copy of the Evaluation may be accessed at:
Acknowledgement of Funds
Award recipients are required to acknowledge the support of the New York State and Graduate Student Employees Union Professional Development Program as the funding source on all publicity, publications, and handout materials.
NYS/GSEU EKB eLearning Program
The Empire Knowledgebank (EKB) eLearning Program allows employees represented by the Graduate Student Employees Union (GSEU) to access eLearning products provided by Enterprise Training Solutions, Inc. through the EKB license. Employees will have the opportunity to access thousands of eLearning courses, eBooks and short course videos for opportunities to enhance their professional and career development, for certification preparation and continuing education in a variety of areas.
To apply for the EKB license, GSEU employees must complete the NYS/GSEU EKB eLearning
Program License Application and submit it to the address on the application. The EKB
licenses will be issued on a first come basis. A copy of the application may be accessed