Stony Brook Foundation Board of Trustees Dissertation Completion Endowed Fellowship
The Stony Brook Foundation Board of Trustees Dissertation Completion Fellowship will be awarded to one or more graduate students who have advanced to candidacy and are working on a dissertation that bears high scholarly promise but that might be delayed without financial assistance. Fellowships of $10,000 will be awarded.
For 2021, two awards in the amount of $10,000 each will be offered.
Each graduate program may nominate one (1) candidate who has advanced to candidacy.
Each nomination must be made by the student's Graduate Program Director (GPD) and
- A completed Google Nomination Form.
- Letter of nomination from the Graduate Program Director (GPD) detailing the (1) high scholarly promise of the dissertation project and (2) evidence of exceptional financial need. If there is a conflict the Department Chair can provide this nomination letter in lieu of the GPD.
- A short summary of the nominee’s status as a graduate student. This should include the date of admission, year of study, date of advancement to candidacy, and expected date of completion of the doctoral degree.
- Dissertation abstract, or similar summary of the project. This should be geared toward a general audience.
- Letters of support from (1) the student’s advisor, (2) the Department Chair and (3) another program faculty member.
- The student’s C.V.
Please note, this fellowship can be paid as either:
- a bi-weekly, academic year fellowship through Research Foundation payroll. This comes with the option of electing fellow health insurance benefits. The Research Foundation will issue a letter stating the total amount paid for the year, for your tax purposes.
- a one-time summer fellowship award payment through the Stony Brook Foundation. Should the summer option be selected, there is no summer fellow health insurance option available. As a result of being processed as an award check, the fellow will receive a 1099 form (for US citizens); or 1042 form subject a maximum of 30% tax withholding (for international students).
The nomination deadline is Monday, February 22, 2021, at 5:00 pm.