Dean's Award for Excellence in Service by a Graduate Program Director (GPD)
The Dean's Award for Excellence in Service recognizes outstanding service to graduate
education at Stony Brook by a graduate program director (GPD). Criteria for selection
may include provision of timely and excellent advice to graduate students about academic,
registration, support and placement issues and/or generosity of time in working with
graduate students. These criteria are not meant to be exhaustive, but instead to suggest
activities that might be considered in a nominating letter. The nominee must have
been a GPD for at least two years at the time of the nomination.
The award is comprised of a certificate and a $500 award check. Nominations may be made by faculty, staff or students.
Nomination materials should include:
- A completed Google Nomination Form.
- A letter of nomination. Nominations may be made by faculty, staff or students.
- Letter of support from the faculty member's Department Chair.
- Letter of support from the Graduate Program Coordinator (GPC).
- Letter of support from at least one other faculty member.
- Letter of support from at least two graduate students who have a direct knowledge of nominee's service activities.
- The nominee's C.V.
The nomination deadline is Monday, February 25, 2019, at 5:00 pm.
2019: Kathleen Fallon, Sociology
2018: John Bailyn, Linguistics; Wali Karzai, Molecular and Cell Biology
2016: Shirley Lim, History
2015: Katheryn Twiss, Anthropological Sciences; Anne O'Byrne, Philosophy
2014: Steve Marsh, Theatre Arts
2013: Mathew Lebo , Political Science
2012: Susan Brennan , Psychology
2011: Nancy Goroff , Chemistry; Andreas Koenig , Anthropological Sciences
2010: Celia Marshik, English
2009: Anne McElroy, Marine and Atmospheric Sciences
2008: Laszlo Mihaly, Physics
2007: Stella Tsirka, Pharmacology
2006: Partap Khalsa, Biomedical Engineering