Non-Matriculated Student FAQ
- A maximum of 12 credits may be transferred to a master’s program and a maximum of 6 credits may be transferred to a certificate program at Stony Brook with the approval of the program and the Graduate School provided that they have not been used toward the satisfaction of any degree or certificate requirements here or at another institution.
- GSP status remains active as long as there are not more than three consecutive “full” terms (Fall / Spring ) without enrollment. Three or more consecutive terms without enrollment require the student to reapply for GSP status.
- If you haven’t enrolled in classes for a semester, please
contact email@example.com to request re-activation.
- Any credits and grades (undergraduate and/or graduate) earned as a GSP student will be a part of your graduate career, and appear on your graduate transcript. If and when you are admitted to a graduate degree or certificate (matriculated) program, your GPA will be restarted to include only graduate level courses. The cumulative GPA you earned at the completion of your undergraduate career will not change.
PRIOR TO SUBMITTING THE NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE, ENSURE THAT:
- You should be applying through the Graduate and Health Sciences Admission.
- Students seeking courses offered by the Schools of Nursing, Health Technology and Management, and Social Welfare need to contact and apply for GSP status through those schools.
- The courses you wish to take are available for GSP students (check with the department offering the course if not listed in the catalog of enrollment guidelines for GSP students (PDF).
- After earning six credits as a Stony Brook University GSP student, a minimum GPA of 2.5 is required for students to continue enrollment. If students do not meet this requirement, they will be dismissed.
- Enrollment in a department's graduate courses does not entitle a GSP student to candidacy for a department's degree program. You must formally apply and be admitted to a degree and/or certificate program.
Application Link for Non- Matriculated Students
GSP STATUS FAQS
GENERAL PROGRAM FAQS