PhD Works Professional Development Awards
for Inclusion and Equity
PhD Works Professional Development Awards for Inclusion and Equity aim to assist SBU graduate students in preparing for careers within the professional workforce (broadly defined), while also fostering the career advancement of students who will contribute to diversifying that workforce. These awards support unreimbursed expenses for career and professional development activities up to an amount of $750 for the Academic Year 2017-18.
Applicants must be:
- SBU graduate students currently enrolled in any SBU Master’s or PhD program.
- Any citizenship (however, there are additional restrictions on reimburseable expense for international students).
- Able to demonstrate how the applicant will contribute to the diversity of their professional community and/or show how they have overcome disadvantage or other impediment to success in higher education.
Eligible supported activities must advance the student’s career and professional development goals. Priority will be given to students whose activities expand their career development beyond the traditional expectations of their academic program.
For the 2017-18 application, activities must have taken place during Fall 2017 or Spring 2018 semesters (including planned activities through May 4, 2018).
** International students on a temporary visa can only be reimbursed for eligible expenses related to travel or expenses that satisfy NYS Procurement policies (contact us to find out if your expenses would be eligible).
Types of Supported Activities
Examples of Activities Include:
- Registration or travel to consulting case competitions;
- Unreimbursed travel to internship sites;
- Registration or travel to professional development workshops, seminars or classes;
- Industry conference registration; or
- One-time subscription to career development program or site.
Award may not be used for:
- Salaries, stipends, or income to compensate the applicant or any other person.
- Expenses related to a course, internship or a project or activity that are part of an applicant's degree program.
- Purchasing equipment, software, consumable, or non-consumable supplies.
How to Apply:
Applicants must apply through the PhD Works portal and submit the following:
- Applicant information and demographics
- A PDF document that answers the following short-answer questions:
- Briefly describe how the skills, knowledge or experience you hope to gain during the funded activity could benefit your career development. (250 words maximum)
- Briefly describe the ways in which you will contribute to the diversity of your professional community and/or how you have overcome disadvantage or other impediment to success in higher education. It might be helpful to include any information related to your academic/social experience relevant to PhD Works’ mission to help diversify the professional workforce. (500 words maximum)
As you will not be able to save your progress in the application, please prepare all of your answers and uploadable files in advance. You can review an advance version of the entire application here.
Review and Award Process:
Applications are reviewed on a continuous basis as they are submitted. Funds will be awarded for applications that satisfy both our career advancement goal and our diversity goal. The number of awards are limited by the total funding available, $7,500. Applications for this semester will close on May 11th, 2018 or once funding has been depleted.
After funds are awarded and the activity has concluded, the program will request a short report on what was learned and how the recipient benefited from the initiative. In addition, submission of original receipts related to the award will also be required.
Additional questions? Contact the coordinator: Lyl.Tomlinson@stonybrook.edu